Sua gai is a traditional Lao dish, akin to laab, but with a soupy twist. The recipe calls for whole chicken, fresh herbs, aromatics, and, of course, our special Lao Spices laab seasoning blend. By using leftover chicken broth, you can transform the dish into a whole new experience.
- 2 lb Whole chicken, diced
- 8 cups Water
- 2 Lemongrass stalks, gently pounded
- 3 slices of ginger
- 4 lime leaves
- 4 green onions, white part
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Lao Spice Lao laab seasoning blend
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp Fish sauce
- ½ cup Cilantro, diced
- ½ cup Vietnamese cilantro, diced
- ½ cup green onion, green part, diced
- 3 bird eye chili, minced
- In a large pot, add the diced chicken and water. Bring it to a boil.
- Add the lemongrass, ginger, lime leaves, green onion (white part), and salt to the pot.
- Return to a simmer, cover with a lid, and let it simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot, let it cool, and then separate the meat from the bones. Cut the chicken into small pieces.
- Take 2 cups of the diced chicken and place it in a bowl. Add 2 cups of chicken broth to the bowl.
- Mix in the laab seasoning, lime juice, fish sauce, cilantro, Vietnamese cilantro, and green onion (green part) until well combined.
- Plate the mixture and garnish with minced bird eye chili.
- Enjoy the sua gai with sticky rice!